Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Now I've Done It.

For some time now, I've promised, threatened, and solemnly pledged to myself that yes, I WILL start a blog, and I will start it NOW. 


But then there's the recruiting of and working for clients...the needs of the family and minor child...the withering plants on my windowsill.  And all the good intentions are swept away - by the spring rain, the summer winds, the autumn gloom, the winter chill.


My clarion call came in May, at the NGS Conference in Charleston, SC.  I attended a workshop on how to monetize your blog, hosted by a great fellow named Mark Olsen of Family Link.  He was brilliant, and quick - too quick!  My addled brain could not keep up with the machinations of changing HTML code and the highlights of dealing with Google AdSense.


It didn't help that I'd walked in my customary ten minutes late, either.


In the end, Mark graciously offered to email a summary of the course to us poor, confused souls.


Not much of what he said that day stuck with me, but one thing did.  Allow me to paraphrase his wise words:


"If you don't have a blog, start one now.  Just start it!  My brother always wants to take the long road.  He says, wait Mark, I need to design a logo.  I need to figure out the message and the target audience.


I say, don't worry about it!  You can always add that stuff later!  Just WRITE something, and put yourself OUT there!"


So - here I am.  No custom colors, no logo, no profile pic - not yet.  I broke all of my own rules, and just decided to start writing about what I absolutely, passionately love to do - solving historic mysteries.


Hence the title: Unsolved Histories.


Now I've done it.  And there's no going back.


Mark, I don't know if I'll ever be able to dabble in HTML code.


But thank you, Mark Olsen.  This one's for you.

7 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogsphere! Mark is right about just starting a blog is the first and best step, but I should've attended his session--when's he in New England? I've not posted for a while but, hey, my genealogy club's blog is out there!

    And I'm with you on the juggling act moms of minor kids have to do. We should get a bunch of us together to strategize on getting the research work done. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Liesa, what a great first post! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alice - you are so right about the genealogy/parenting thing! Webinar opportunity for us?! Ka-ching! LOL

    And thanks, Cathy, for your kind comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific name, Liesa, and a great first post. Good luck with it, and enjoy it! You've got a nice niche to talk about, too, and a nice easy style. I'm looking forward to reading more. --Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Liesa; this looks great!

    Can I ask you about your Healy heritage? My mother is a Healy from Littleton, MA. Her great grandparents were Denis and Ellen (Sullivan) Healy, who arrived from Ireland in 1847. They brought four children with them and had four more in Littleton. Ring any bells? -- Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nancy,

    I think someone asked me about the Littleton clan before! No relation. Where are your mother's folks from? Mine are from Inchigeelagh parish in County Cork.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Her great grandfather was from Gurrane, Cork and her great grandmother was from Donoughmore, Cork. I am not sure where those are in relation to Inchigeelagh. Keep up the good work; I am enjoying your musings :-) Nancy

    ReplyDelete